After 34 years as an Atlanta lawyer, Mike Levengood decided to open a solo law practice in Gwinnett County, and in June of 2014, opened Law Office of J. Michael Levengood, LLC just south of the historic courthouse square in Lawrenceville. A graduate of the University of Georgia School of Law, in 1980 Mike joined Hicks, Maloof & Campbell, P.C., which was a general practice law firm consisting of nine lawyers, as an associate and in 1986 he became a shareholder. Mike’s firm merged with Long Aldridge & Norman, LLP, where Mike was an equity partner and grew to be McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP, an AmLaw 100 firm consisting of 575 lawyers and public policy advisors at the time of his transition from the partnership in June of 2014.
Mike represents clients in wide variety of legal matters including commercial litigation in Georgia state and federal courts, mediations and arbitrations, corporate governance and transactions, wills and trusts, probate and administration of decedents’ estates, workouts and all aspects of corporate and individual bankruptcy reorganization cases.
• J.D., University of Georgia School of Law, cum laude, The Order
of Barristers, 1980
• B.A., Political Science, University of Georgia, 1977
• University of Georgia Moot Court Executive Board, Chair (1979-80)
Representative Business & Municipal Reorganization Matters
• Sydell, Inc. d/b/a Spa Sydell
• The Cliffs Club & Hospitality Group Debtors (Plan confirmed 8/2012)
• Southwest Georgia Ethanol, LLC, Debtor (Plan confirmed 12/2011)
• Suffolk Regional Off-Track Betting Corp. Chapter 9 case
• Josh Hochberg, Washington Mutual Bankruptcy Examiner
• Centennial Healthcare Corp. reorganized debtors
• Federal Receiver for Ply-Marts, Inc.
• Special Debtor’s counsel in the Townsends, Inc. and World Access, Inc. Chapter 11 cases
• Fiduciary defense litigation relating to Farmer’s Furniture
• Debtor’s counsel for A.E. Barnes, III, Major Leasing, Georgia Properties, Sky Valley, South Financial Corp., Orbit Industries, Appleton Midwestern Television, and Southern Pan & Shoring
• Trustee’s counsel in the North American Acceptance Corp., Sayman’s, Speir Insurance Agency, Starling Enterprises, and Zohouri Group Mustang Island LP bankruptcy cases
• Counsel for a professional in the Dan River bankruptcy case
• Counsel for a secured creditor in the President Casino Broadwater Resort bankruptcy case
• Counsel for potential purchasers in Galleria Investments and Winn-Dixie bankruptcy cases
• Executory contract litigation for non-debtors in Enron, K-Mart, iPCS, Twin Eagles Golf & Country Club, Planet Hollywood and All-Star Café, and Pike Nurseries
• Alternative Dispute Resolution: Mediation and Arbitration
Mr. Levengood participated in the JUSTGeorgia juvenile justice
project and served on the Georgia Appleseed Education Advisory
Committee. He served on the 2008 Georgia Commission for
School Board Excellence Advisory Committee. He also contributed
to the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation.
Mr. Levengood is a community leader in Gwinnett County and received the 2009 Gwinnett Chamber Public Service Award. In 2013, Mr. Levengood received the Gwinnett County Public Schools Public Service Award and the Partnership Gwinnett Award for Influence. He is the Chairman of the Boards of the Gwinnett Health System, Inc., of Partnership Gwinnett, and of the Gwinnett Parks Foundation. In 2015, Mr. Levengood was appointed to the Gwinnett Hospital Authority. He also served as the Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce Vice Chair for Leadership and Education from 2008 to 2012, and as Vice Chair for Education in 2015, and served as the Partnership Gwinnett Education Chair from 2007-2016. In 2017, Mr. Levengood was elected to the board of directors of the Georgia Hospital Association and of the Community Foundation for Northeast Georgia.
He served as the Co-Chair of Engage Gwinnett and was a member of the
Gwinnett County Chairman’s 2011 Business Plan and Budget Review Committee.
Mr. Levengood is a member of the Board of Directors of the Leadership Gwinnett
Foundation and a past General Chair of Leadership Gwinnett, a charter member of the
Superintendent’s Council of Community Advisors and of the Superintendent’s Business Advisory Council and a member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees
of the Gwinnett County Public Schools Foundation. He served as President of the Parkview Cluster Foundation from 2014 to 2016, as a business representative on the Parkview High
School Local School Council from 2002 to 2007 and is a past Parkview High Scool
He was also recognized in 2007 by the Georgia Recreation and Park Association for
his work as the Chair of the Gwinnett Parks Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization
that he formed with fellow citizens in 2001 to support the Gwinnett County parks
system (National Recreation & Park Association 2008 Gold Medalist and 2014 Gold Medal Finalist).
Mr. Levengood co-chaired the successful 2011 Gwinnett Education
SPLOST renewal campaign and has chaired the successful campaigns to promote
passage of the 2002 and 2007 Gwinnett Education SPLOST renewals, the 2008
Gwinnett Education Bond referendum, and the 2009 Gwinnett County SPLOST
renewal, all of which are funding about $3 billion of capital projects for Gwinnett
County and Gwinnett County Public Schools (2010 Broad Prize
Winner and 2014 Broad Prize Finalist).
• Georgia Society of CPAs, Troubled Businesses & Bankruptcy Division Seminar, 2012 & 2013
• "Exercise of Personal Property Foreclosure Remedies, Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors and Receiverships," George State Bar Secured Lending Seminar, (2011).
• "Intersection of Receiverships and Bankruptcy," Georgia State Bar Consumers and Commercial Bankruptcy Seminar, (2010).
• “Protecting Clients Against Technology Vendor Bankruptcy,” Practicing Law Institute’s 23rd Annual Institute on Computer Law, (2003).
• “Norton Bankruptcy Law & Practice, 2d,” Forms, Co-Managing Editor, (1992-2000).
• “Georgia Journal of International & Comparative Law,” (1978-80).
• Adjunct professor at University of Georgia School of Law, January 2013 - present (Business Bankruptcy)(Secured Transactions, 2016)
• Adjunct professor at University of Georgia School of Law, January 2011 - May 2012 (Bankruptcy)
• Adjunct Faculty Emory University School of Law, Fall 2013 Pretrial Civil Motions Course
• Leadership Gwinnett, Class of 2003
• University of Georgia Young Alumni Council, President (1985-87)
• Sphinx, Gridiron, Blue Key
• American Bankruptcy Institute
• American Bar Association
• Association of Transportation Practitioners (1981-1990)
• Atlanta Bar Association
• State Bar of Georgia National Moot Court Competition Committee Co-Chair (1985-86)
Mike has held an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell for 30 years and for the past five years has been recognized as one of America’s Leading Lawyers for Business by Chambers USA. Georgia Trend and Corporate Counsel have recognized Mike Levengood as a Top Lawyer for Excellence in Commercial & Bankruptcy Litigation. Mike has also been listed for several years as one of Georgia’s Best Lawyers in the practice area of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor/Insolvency and Bankruptcy Law.